Top 10 Women’s Music Festival Style Staples
The season of music festivals is fast approaching, with Coachella opening the floodgates this weekend. All you boho princesses out there get ready to strut your most fashionable stuff. With a bat s*** crazy line up boasting headliners such as The Black Keys, Radiohead, Bon Iver, Snoop Dog, and our beloved Florence and the Machine, the festival will undoubtedly host a slew of sun-drunk style setters. While not all of us are able to roll up in the latest designer spring collections (ahem, Alexa Chung in that adorable sequin encrusted 3.1 Phillip Lim shift dress, last year), here are 10 essentials that we are packing to look nonchalantly chic in that blazing California heat.
1. A simple tank: The tank is the foundation for all outfits. Trust us when we tell you that you’ve got every other inch of your body to cover with loud colours- do yourself a favor, and keep this puppy nice and simple. We opted for Joe Fresh’s boyish Shell Tank, available here.
2. Printed shorts: See what we were talking about? We are taking this bold opportunity to get re-acquainted with our tribal side; after all it has been an entire year since we traded in our colorless New York uniform for a bold shot of free spirit. With many graphic prints to choose from, we love Mara Hoffman’s Aztec pattern because it screams I-came-back-from-traveling-the-world-just-in-time-to-look-totally-bad-ass-at-Coachella. Right, of course you did. Available at Shopbop.
3. Binocular Shades: While reflecting off the rays, these big shades may also have some man-repellant tendencies (guys never seem to understand why we go out of our way to look like insects). However, the trend spotters will love you even more for your conviction to take on this Iris Apfel-infused trend. We must have these Illesteva Freida frames that have been spotted resting on the noses of our favorite fashion icons. Available at La Garconne.
4. Metallic Details: We don’t really care what you choose to do here, but for the love of god please ensure you include a little lustrous sheen in your daily outfits, okay? Easy ways to add in a touch of this editorial-like gloss are with a metallic square clutch or sandals. But if you’ve really got the guts, we urge you to rock k20 by Karen Ko’s Spiked Ankle set. We will be sporting these on that inevitable day of wearing a plain T and cut offs. Available on k2obykarenko.com.
5. Neck Candy: Nothing says eccentric like colorful bling. Pair a rock-encrusted bib (preferably with some neon gleam) on top of your simple tank and you truly have the holy grail of summer trends. We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our DANNIJO Capucine necklace, available on dannijo.com.
6. Wrist Game: No music festival is complete without the sounds of bracelets clinking together on the raised arms of music-loving girls. We are pulling out all those friendship bracelets and beaded strands from days at summer camp, to stack with a bunch of Vanessa Lianne’s gold Cobra thin cuff bracelets, available here.
7. Hobo bag: Now it is time to round out that quintessential festival-goer inside us all. And what better way is there to encapsulate a little 1970’s, than some suede fringe? Frye helps us with the gorgeous Lola Crossbody bag – stock a water bottle and some sunscreen and you’ll be good to bask in the sun for hours. We love it in Sand. Available on thefryecompany.com.
8. Scarf: There may come a time when you are actually sick of the heat. Shocking, we know. To prepare for this we encourage you to bring along a colorful scarf (we are tying this one to our hobo bag). When you find that your hair is so hot it could fry an egg you can just wrap this lightweight wonder around your head like a true bohemian goddess. ShawLux, available here.
9. As the temperature drops, we anticipate wanting something light to cover our sun-kissed shoulders. GANT’s Chambray Sam Shirt is soft enough to stuff into our day bag, yet warm enough to keep us going through the night. Get the cozy cover up gant.com.
10. To top it all off, one is not to forget the bold coral lip. Nothing pairs better with fresh freckles from a day of prancing in the sun. We turn to none other than Tom Ford’s Private Blend Lipstick in True Coral, for a sultry pout that completes every look. Available online at Nordstrom.